Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Blogger Template From:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Monday, July 20, 2009

mondays

chapter one.

“audrey! where the hell are you? I need those working papers now!” an angry voice barked over the line.
“leanne! im sorry, im stuck in traffic along rose street but I’ll be there as soon as the stupid taxi gets out of the way!” I frantically replied, while trying to turn the car to the left and balancing my starbucks coffee.
“it’s 9.30 already and you’re stuck in traffic? God! The audit committee meeting is at 10.30! barry has been demanding those files since 8.30!” leanne sands, my manager said.
“I know, I know, wait, here I am, just getting inside the parking lot. I’ll be up there in 10 mins!”
“you’d better be or you’re dead!” with that, she hanged up the phone.
damn. of all time to be late, it’s when I have an important meeting. I cursed myself as I found an empty slot and quickly parked my car. I turned off the engine, put the car keys inside my bag and gathered all the working papers at the passenger seat. I looked at the rearview mirror for one last look at my harassed state and quickly ran up the elevator.
hurry hurry. I thought to myself as I silently encouraged the elevator to go up as fast as it can. At exactly 9 minutes and 40 seconds, the elevator doors opened in front of the 12th floor and I immediately stepped out and hurried outside barry watson’s office.
“audrey! barry’s been breathing fire since this morning and poor leanne’s getting burnt to crisps inside his room. you’d better get in there fast.” emily vine, barry’s secretary, cautioned me.
“oh emily, thanks!” I breathed deeply before knocking on barry’s door. Inside, I can already hear muffled voices inside the room. Knock knock. I rapped on the polished oak door.
come in. I heard barry’s call over the closed door. I slowly opened his door and put on my best smile.
“uhm..hi barry! Hi leanne..”
“thank god you’re here!” leanne stopped me. She came over at once and grabbed the working papers that ive been clutching tight.
I meekly walked over to barry’s desk and stood before him.
“barry, here’s the impairment testing we came up with last weekend. The client is short by about 10m and we propose to adjust the figures in the balance sheet.” Leanne laid open the schedule in front of barry and explained how the computations were done.
“ok.” Barry said, as he went over the figures. “how about the properties? Were we able to check the market values? Do we need to set up an allowance on the condo units too?”
“no need, barry. It’s all good.” Leanne confidently replied.
“very well.” Barry glanced at his watch and saw that it was already quarter to 10. “I guess we’d better get to the meeting then leanne. Have you got all the papers ready?”
This time, I spoke, “yes, barry. i’ve photocopied 10 copies of the accounts and the agenda for the meeting.” i said as I showed him a thick envelope filled with official papers. I then fished my usb from my bag. “and this, leanne, is the powerpoint presentation.”
“great!” barry stood up and picked up his blackberry. “let’s head over there then!”
Leanne smiled brightly at barry and followed him outside the door. I quickly followed behind them.
When both barry and leanne were waiting for the elevator, barry turned to me and said, “Audrey, it’s ok if you don’t join us for the meeting. Just hand over the papers and the presentation to leanne. In the meantime, please go to louisa’s area. She needs a staff to help her with the special job over at titan enterprises.”
“yes barry. thanks.” I handed the files over to leanne who’s pout has slowly been replaced by a smile.
“thanks Audrey. I’ll see you later.” Leanne said.
The doors of the elevator soon opened and barry and leanne got in. I waved at them before the doors closed.
Only then was I able to breathe a sigh of relief.

___

aprilfifteen.one

0 comments:

Post a Comment