Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Blogger Template From:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, November 12, 2009

boys on the side

chapter three. boys on the side.

“Have you decided which actors you want to use for your music video?” Stan asked his good friend Nick while hanging inside the music studio.

Nick is releasing his debut album in two weeks and they needed to shoot his first music video this weekend. As always, the room was filled with the entire crew, pitching in ideas for Nick’s video. Stan and Jay are co-producers of Nick’s album and the title track, Shadow, was written and composed by Stan himself. Stan’s cousins, Eddie and Ken, and Eddie’s girlfriend, Melody also showed up and were busy eating chips and goofing around.

“Not yet, Stan.” Nick replied. “My manager tried calling Jenny and Mike’s management but both have turned down due to conflicting schedules. I’m thinking of calling Eva to be the female lead, though. I’m still missing my main man.”

“How about me?” funny guy Ken jokingly asked. Everyone looked at him and laughed.

“Well, why not? I’m cute and sexy and funny,” Ken teased.

“We need a serious actor, not a comedian, Ken.” Eddie answered back.

“Well, I can be the funny best friend or something.” Ken mumbled.

Nick smiled at his best friend. “Don’t worry, Kenny boy, you’ll be the star in my second music video.”

“Really? Way cool, man. Thanks!” Ken happily replied as Eddie playfully slapped his back.

“C’mon. It’s your turn.”

Just then, Robert, Nick’s manager came in and everyone greeted him.

“Nick, great news. We might get Shane to star in your music video.” Robert excitedly said.

“Really? That guy in that Outsiders drama?” Melody asked.

“Yes. That guy in the Outsiders drama.”

“Oh my god. That hottie! Can I be the lead actress then?” Melody jumped up from her seat, ecstatic.

“No way.” Eddie called out to her girlfriend. “Not unless, I’m the main guy.”

Everyone hooted and teased the couple.

Melody went over to Eddie and kissed him, “Just trying. You don’t even have to pay me.” She teased.

Ken laughed, “Nice try, Mel, but Eddie’s way better than that Shane dude. That guy is probably a dumb pretty boy. I mean, his girlfriend cheated on him, his brother betrayed him and he ended up killing himself during the last episode.”

Nick threw a paper plane at Ken. “That was just a drama, dummy. I’ve met him two months ago at a function and he looks pretty cool.” He then turned to his manager and said, “I’m fine with Shane. If you can get him to shoot the music video next week, then it’s all set. Eva will be calling me today if she can do the video.”

“Alright. I’ll call up Shane’s manager and set it.” Robert got up from his seat.

“Oh, wait,” Melody called out, “I think he’s supposed to have a press conference or something this afternoon for his new drama with Lulu.”

“That’s great,” Nick said, “Maybe we can go to wherever it is going to be held and wait for him. That way, we’ll be able to convince him faster.

“I’ll try, Nick.” Robert replied, “but I’ve got a meeting with the marketing department this afternoon to discuss your promotional tour. Don’t worry about it. I know Shane’s personal manager. I’ll give her a call later.”

“Okay.” Everyone nodded and Robert left the room.

“So, do you know where this presscon will be held?” Eddie asked Melody.

“I’m not sure, Eddie. Wait, I’ll give my friend a call. She’s an assistant personal manager and she managed him during his Outsiders activity. I’ll see if she’s still the one handling him.” Melody reached for the cell phone and dialed her friend’s number.

“Hello? Andrea? It’s Mel.”

“Hi Mel! What’s up?”

“Are you still handling Shane?” Melody asked.

“Why? Are you back stalking him?” Andrea teased her friend. They met at the annual Christmas party last year. Apparently, Melody’s then boyfriend was Andrea’s cousin. Melody and Andrea’s cousin didn’t last long, but the two girls’ friendship did.

“No. Nick needs a lead actor for his first music video and I was wondering if we can ask Shane to participate in the video.”

“Ah. Unfortunately, we switched clients last month, so I’m handling Malinda now.”

“Oh. I see. Then I guess you don’t know where Shane’s presscon will be held later?”

“Oh that? It’s at the Grand Hotel in Fifth Avenue. 5 pm, Lilac Room.”

“Great! Thanks a lot!” Melody said.

“Wait. I almost forgot. Shane’s assistant personal manager is Annie. She’s one of my closest friends. I’ll call her ahead for you.”

“Really? Okay. I owe you one, Andy. Give me a call if it’s okay for us to go there later.”

“Will do. Bye, Mel.” They said their goodbyes and hanged up.

Melody looked at everyone and announced. “Andrea’s friend is handling Shane. She’ll give her a call and she’ll let us know if we can come over and squeeze us in his schedule.”

“Great.” Nick said. “That’s settled then. Stan, will you go with me to the presscon later? You too, Mel.”

“Sure.” Stan replied. Melody nodded excitedly.

“Hey, what about us?” Ken and Eddie asked.

Stan slapped their thighs. “You two go to class this afternoon. You can’t miss any of your classes, especially since the group will be releasing our 3rd album in 3 months’ time.”

“Okay. We hear you, big brother.” Eddie replied.

Stan then called Nick and they practiced rehearsed the 5th song before they start recording it tonight.

It was already 12nn when they finished rehearsals. Ken and Eddie went to class while Nick, Melody and Stan went out for lunch at the nearby ramen house.

“So Stan,” Melody started, “I have this girl friend that you might like.”

“Mel,” Nick warned.

“Relax, Nick, this one’s the real deal.” Melody replied. Seeing as Stan is the second oldest in the group (he just turned 31 a few months ago) after Jay and still unmarried and without a girlfriend, Melody has been trying to hook him up with her friends in the university for months. Her 5 attempts at matchmaking all failed, as the first one was too flirty and flaky for Stan, the second girl was too serious, the third one too short and the fourth one just plain opposites. The most recent one was nice, she and Stan even went out for weeks, but nothing happened and Stan stopped calling her after that.

“Mel,” it was Stan who spoke up. “I’m really glad you’re concerned and is helping me with my love life, but I’m having fun being single and I don’t want any commitments right now.”

“And if you’re going to hook Stan up with some girl, better look for someone he might actually like, and not just dig up every single university friend you have.” Nick chided lightly.

“Hey, my friends are nice and pretty and I didn’t dig them up from nowhere. All of them told me they like you a lot, Stan. I mean, really like you. If I didn’t have Eddie with me, I’d probable go for you too coz you’re hot.” Melody smiled.

Stan’s smiled wryly, “Thanks.”

“But they said that you’re not that attentive to them, like, you’re not even there when you go out with them. What’s wrong?” Melody asked, concerned.

“Nothing.” Stan answered defensively. “I’m there. I don’t space out. I listen to them. I guess they’re not my type.”

Nick replied, “Better hook him up with someone much prettier, Mel. Someone with star quality. Someone like...” Nick’s voice trailed off.

“Like Malinda?” Melody asked.

Nick winced when Mel mentioned her. Stan was silent.

“Mel... I told you not to talk about her.” Nick said, while hushing Melody.

Stubbornly, Melody continued. “What’s up with you and Malina anyways, Stan? Whatever did happen between the two of you?”

Stan shrugged, “It was a long time ago. I don’t remember.”

“Eddie said that you and Malinda went out for 4 years and almost got engaged. Then one day, you guys broke up and Eddie said you’ve never been the same. You’ve had a string of short relationships and flings but never had another serious relationship since the Malinda episode.” Melody said, “and that was 3 years ago?”

“Malinda was not yet a star then. Her career took off a few months after they broke up and she switched to Golden Records and landed that ‘Beautiful Dreamer’ tv drama.” Nick finished the story.

“So that rumor about Malinda dating the son of big boss of Golden Records to get that role true?” Melody wondered.

“I hope not.” Nick replied.

“Yes.” Stan said at the same time, his voice a bit cold and harsh.

Nick and Melody fell silent and waited for Stan to continue. He didn’t. He just continued finishing his hamburger.

“Oh.” Melody softly said.

It was Stan who broke the awkward silence. “It was a long time ago. If you ask me if I still feel anything for her? No more. I’m just sad and disappointed that our relationship ended that way. I loved her so much then, but I guess her career was more important to her at that time. I don’t blame her. She got what she wanted because now she’s popular and successful and they got engaged last month.”

Melody sighed, wishing she just kept her mouth shut. She met Stan through Eddie two years ago, but she has known Eddie and the rest of the group since they were still living in San Francisco and she treats everyone like her own brothers, except for Eddie who she loves the most.

“Sorry I brought her up, Stan. I just want to find you a great girl who will appreciate you and who you can spend your life with.”

Stan smiled at Melody. As Mel treats Stan like her own brother, Stan, in turn, treats Mel like his own younger sister and being the 2nd big brother of group, he feels protective towards his “siblings”.

“Thanks, Mel. I know you mean well, but I will find her someday.” He then thought of the pretty girl who fainted in his arms a few days ago and smiled, “Well, maybe I have found her.”

Nick, who was busy playing with the salt and pepper stopped and looked at Stan, “You found her? Who? I haven’t seen out with any girl these past few weeks.”

Melody, who was equally curious added, “Who is she? Is she someone we know?”

Stan laughed. “I actually don’t know her that well too.” He then told the story about how he saved a girl from fainting a few days ago near the coffee shop.

“So, what did she look like?” Nick eagerly pressed Stan for details.

Melody chirped, “Was it love at first sight?”

Stan laughed at them and replied. “Really pretty, smooth and straight black hair falling down her shoulders, small brown eyes, soft white skin. She barely reaches my shoulders, but she looks really good.” Stan grinned as he continued, “Love at first sight? No, more like curious and concern at first sight. She looked delicate and sad at first but then she felt better and she started laughing and her smile just lit her face up and she has cute dimples on her both cheeks that comes out whenever she grins.”

“Whoo... someone sounds smitten here.” Melody teased.

Nick guffawed. “Damn, I want her to take a look at her myself. Did you even get her name and number?”

“Her name’s Anne and I forgot to ask for her number,” Stan answered sheepishly, “but she works around here so I’m hoping to see her again soon and maybe I’ll ask for her number then.”

“But then, she’s still trying to get over her jerk of an ex-boyfriend, so might not be a good time to come in.” Stan continued.

“Nah,” Melody replied, “it’s been months since their break up, I’m thinking she needs to find a new guy so that she can move on, and that,” Melody pointed at Stan, “my man, is going to be you.”

“Maybe,” Stan couldn’t stop smiling, “We’ll see.”

Nick replied, “Maybe? Definitely, man! This is the first time you’ve been really excited talking about a girl, so you definitely have to snag her man!”

Stan raised his hands up and replied, “Okay. Okay. The next time I see her, and I hope it’ll be soon, I’m asking her out!”

“And don’t forget to introduce her to us, Stan.” Melody reminded.

“Sure.” Stan looked at his watch and saw that it was already 2pm.

“Hey, we better go.” Stan told Nick, “We still have to drop by at my house to get the guitar for tonight’s recording session.”

“Yeah, you’re right.” They all stood up from their table and went out the restaurant.

“How about you, Mel? What time’s your next class?” Nick asked Melody.

“Oh, shoot! My next class is in 30 minutes! I’ve got to go guys!” Melody replied.

“We’ll take you there.” Stan said.

“Thanks, but no need. It’s just 10 minutes away from here and you left your car at the basement building. It’ll be faster if I just walk.” Melody told Stan as she started towards the opposite direction.

“Okay. Call us when your friend calls you about the Shane presscon thing.” Nick called out.

Melody raised her thumbs up and said, “Will do! See you guys later.”Nick and Stan went back to the office to get Stan’s car and they drove back to Stan’s apartment to pick up the guitar.
---
cappuccino.three

0 comments:

Post a Comment