Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Blogger Template From:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

green thumb

i've always thought that i have poor relationship with plants or flowers. first, i dont like flowers. second, im not sure if im the type of person who can take care of a plant. i have been telling my friend that i want to buy a plant for my place but i only said it in passing. last christmas, to my surprise, my friend gave me a plant (supposedly a common bamboo plant) -- she loves plants and has a garden -- so she took a piece of her bamboo tree and planted it in a vase and gave it to me.

i was so excited!! i couldn't wait to bring it home! but at the same time i was nervous.. what if it dies under my watch!! i would feel like a failure! so being a bamboo plant, ive decided to name her.. Bambi. i remember taking a pic of the plant when i first got it but i guess i wasn't able to save a copy.

so i got Bambi around dec 15 or 16, 2011. during the christmas break, i went to subic with my family (dec 23-25) so i made sure i gave Bambi a lot of water. then i came back home on dec 26, watered her like crazy, then i went to cebu the next day until dec 30. on dec 31, i saw some of poor Bambi's leaves turning yellow. oh no! less than 2 weeks and she's dying?? i felt guilty so i poured so much water that the water overflowed and i had to place a mat under the vase to keep it dry. dec 31 to jan 1 i went back to my family's house.

my life returned to normal starting jan 2 and i was able to care for Bambi daily.. to my surprise, on jan 13, i saw 2 shoots (?) of leaves sprouting from the top part of the plant!!! i was so excited i immediately took a pic of the leaves.
can you spot the two light green leaves? yes, i was such a proud 'mama'.

on jan 28, again i was happy when i saw another new leaf sprouting.. this time at the lower area where most of the leaves used to turn yellow. yes, i thought Bambi's alive!
a long leaf standing tall amidst the grown leaves.. below you can see the yellowed leaves that have fallen from its branches.

here's a pic of the top area yesterday.. the 2 sets of leaves are now in full bloom!

maybe i have a secret green thumb after all! i dont think this plant will ever sprout flowers.. maybe next time i can grow flowers too. my friend did tell me that if ever Bambi dies i can give the vase back to her and she will give me a new plant!!

i will try to upload Bambi's growth for the next couple of months :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment