Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Blogger Template From:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, March 27, 2011

quasi-gamer

i grew up with computers and gadgets. i guess it's because i live with 2 older brothers and 2 older male cousins who love games and gadgets. of course, being the youngest in the clan, if i wanted to play with them, i had to do what they do. so i grew up playing action figures, computer games and video consoles. you name it, we had it -- game and watch (donkey kong), family computer, sega, super nes, desktop pc, brick game.

back then the games are very simple but addicting and i think the games i played shaped my current love for mysteries and brainiac games. of all the consoles, i remember family computer the most. i remember always teaming up with my brother J -- he's pretty good with games and i was so lampa, im always either left behind or killed in round 1. i loved mario brothers and pacman even if i could never finish the games (yes, i'm THAT bulok with action games).. see the pictures below? the graphics are soo ancient compared to the games being released in ipad but i feel like the classic games have more playing value than angry birds or fruit ninja.
remember these: double dragon , contra, lode runner
mario brothers, burger time, battle city, tetris
megaman, galaxian, galaga, pacman 
then the dawn of desktop PCs came and i started playing Celtics vs Lakers game (me, my bros and cousins had a tournament -- we each chose 2 teams and competed against each other -- i was actually quite good at it that i won a few of the tournaments -- my teams were Utah Jazz and LA Lakers -- and i confess, i was a basketball fanatic then.. i used to have so many John Stockton trading cards and i had a huge crush on Magic Johnson) then i moved to all those quests.. police quest, hero's quest, king's quest, space quest, then there was Larry Laffer (it was a bit sexual for a young girl like me but hey it was fun playing it), Guybrush Threepwood and Freddie Pharkas.. and we had the pc version of the Phantom of the Opera -- i didnt know that this was actually a musical back then and i remember being scared of the Phantom
mystery mansion, maniac mansion, leisure suit larry, freddie pharkas and monkey island
by the time i was in high school, college, my love for computers and computer games was so strong, my brothers and i used to buy pirated pc games and my favorite until now is civilization (i played all 1,2, call to power and colonization) and im currently downloading civ 5.
unfortunately, with my busy work life, i have stopped playing "real" pc games for the past 8 years and have resorted to just playing hidden object games, time management games and tycoon games. my brother J has stopped playing pc games and has a long standing love affair with his xbox and ps3, while my other brother M is so hooked on wow, it's hard trying to peel him away from his room. i still have my nintendo ds lite -- unfortunately ive stopped playing for more than a year that my r4ds card has a error (or maybe my nephews keep opening and "playing" my nds lite that it broke).

i recently looked at the new games and found out that the top 2 games now are dragon age 2 and shogun 2. im so tempted to start playing these two games (thats how geeky and hopeless i am, instead of going out and finding a date with a guy, id rather play games) -- i asked my brother J if he thinks i can play these games (he knows my poor gaming skills so well) and he immediately said no. im not even offended coz i know it's the truth. but i think i've gotten older and more mature.. maybe even my gaming skills have leveled up. so that's my current goal -- to try playing these two games to see if i have what it takes to become a full fledged gaming geek! Aja Aja!

0 comments:

Post a Comment